Professor Dr. Emil Cordos
Education | Professional
Experience | Professional Affiliation
Publications | Research
Topics | Projects
Date of birth: 1936, November 1
Marital status: Married (Doina Veturia)
Number of children: no children
- Professor of Analytical Chemistry, Cluj-Napoca
and Head of the Analytical Chemistry Division,
University "Babes-Bolyai" Cluj-Napoca.
- Director of the Research Institute for Analytical Instrumentation,
- Dept. of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University "Babes-Bolyai"
Arany Janos 11, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Tlf.: +40 64 193833, Fax: +40 64 190818
- Research Institute for Analytical Instrumentation
Donath 67, 3400 Cluj - Napoca, Romania
Tlf.: +40 64 420590, Fax: +40 64 420667, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Home: Cardinal Iuliu Hossu 19, 3400 Cluj-Napoca, Tlf. +40
- High school "Emil Racovitã" Cluj-Napoca,
- University: Chemistry Department, University "Babes-Bolyai,
Graduated in 1959
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University "Babes-Bolyai, Cluj-Napoca,
Back to top | Staff
| Welcome Page
- Teaching positions
- Teaching assistant, 1960-1967,
Associate Professor, 1976-1990,
Professor, 1990 to present, Department of Chemistry and Chemical
Engineering, University "Babes-Bolyai" Analytical Chemistry
Teaching Instrumental Analysis for undergraduate and Analytical
Spectroscopy for Master level classes.
- Research positions abroad
- Visiting researcher at Institut Stalii i Splavov , Moscow,
Fulbright scholar, University of Illinois, Department of Chemistry,
Research associate University of Illinois, Department of Chemistry,
Visiting research professor, University of Illinois, Department
of Chemistry, 1976.
- Research positions:
Head of Branch, Entreprise for Research Instrumentation, Cluj
Director, Research Center for Analytical Instrumentation, Cluj-Napoca,
Director, Research Institute for Analytical Instrumentation,
Cluj-Napoca, branch of the National Institute for Research and
Development in Optoelectronics, INOE 2000, 1996 to present.
- Positions in Academic management
- Deputy Dean, 1977-1981,
Dean Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University "Babes-Bolyai",1990-1992.
Head of the Analytical Chemistry Division, Chemistry and Chemical
Engineering, University "Babes-Bolyai", 1996 to present.
Romanian Society of Chemistry and member in the National Council
of the Society Spectroscopy Committee of Romanian Academy
Romanian Society of Analytical Chemistry
Society of Applied Spectroscopy
Romanian Society of Optoelectronics
Romanian Society for Measurements
Romanian Society for Instrumentation
Founder and President of the Foundation "Proanalitica XXI"
Founder member of EURACHEM Romania
Founder member of Environmental Managers Association, Romania.
and Papers Presented
Back to top | Staff
| Welcome Page
1 chapter in an international monograph
101 scientific papers (30 in international
20 invited lectures at international
Over 300 papers presented in Romanian scientific meetings
Topics and Achievements
- The main approached projects are from the following domains:
- - Computer driven automated methods of analysis.
- Automatic spectrometric analytical instrumentation.
- Analytical atomic spectrometry with radiofrequency and microwave
generated plasma sources.
- Analytical atomic fluorescence spectrometry.
- Spectrometry for environmental monitoring including mobile
and portable instrumentation.
- Speciation of toxic elements in environment and biology.
- Ceramic and organic semiconductor based gas sensors.
- Along the published papers in analytical chemistry and instrumentation,
an important result of the projects in the above mentioned fields
was the creation of the infrastructure for a good quality research.
Parts of the projects were dedicated to design and manufacture
analytical instrumentation. This provided the financial support
for further development of the material base and for structuring
a real research school in this field. It was an interdisciplinary
type of research doubled with the managerial activity required
assembling a team that include both scientists and engineers.
I managed to assemble two groups of researchers, engineers and
technicians. One started within the Institute of Chemistry in
Cluj-Napoca, in 1977 and the other as a branch of the Enterprise
for Research Instrumentation, Bucharest (1981). In 1991 these
two groups merged and formed the Research Center for Analytical
Instrumentation (Centrul de Cercetare pentru Aparatura Analitica,
CAA). In 1996 the Center became Research Institute for Analytical
Instrumentation, a branch of the National Institute for Research
and Development in Optoelectronics, INOE 2000 and it was recently
re-accredited with this status.
The research group and the institutes I directed have a large
number of achievements. I would mention just a few that I have
been involved with and that could be considered milestones in
the history of Romanian built analytical instrumentation.
- Spectrofotometer in the visible range of spectrum,
first Romanian built instrument of this type (1978)
Flamephotometer, first Romanian built instrument for flame
emission spectrometry (1984)
UV-Vis Single Beam Spectrophotometer (1985) and UV-Vis
Double Beam Spectrophotometer (1985), first Romanian high
performance instruments, microprocessor driven.
Radiofrequency Inductively Coupled Spectral Source and
the Spectrometer with Inductively Coupled Plasma Torch,
the first high performance instrument of this type built in the
former socialist countries (1988).
Automated equipment for chemical analysis. First analytical
robots built in the former socialist countries (1988).
Capacitively coupled radiofrequency plasma, a promissing
low power spectral source that could be the heart of low argon
flow emission spectrometer. The first model was built in 1991.
Graphite furnace atomic absorbtion spectrophotometer.
Experimental model of a high performance instrument with entirely
Romanian software (1994).
Modular diode array spectrometer. Prototype built in 1996.
- Low power capacitively coupled plasma sources
- European Comision Project EXPASCAN: "Exposure to Arsenic
and Cancer Risk in Central and East Europe". Main partners
Imperial College, London, UK, Univ."Babes-Bolyai" Cluj-Napoca
- European Comision Project IRCYL: Investigation of the Risk
of Cyanide in Gold Leaching on Health and Environment in Central
Asia and Central Europe Main partners: ICON Consultants, London,
UK, Umwelt Medical Institute for Environmental Hygiene, Duesseldorf,
Germany Univ."Babes-Bolyai" Cluj-Napoca